Monday, November 17, 2014

Environmental Outreach, Our Coffee Snake, & The Squirrel Cuckoo and Other Fancy Birds

Last week, we participated in a big environmental festival at La Selva Biological Station. I made the acquaintance of a bunch of researchers and spent most of the day sitting at our booth, showing young people a handful of frogs, tortoises, lizards, and a very tolerant red coffee snake (Ninia sebae). Here's the little guy getting a drink of water before we released him back home:



It was a great chance to brush up on my Spanish and herp-related vocabulary.
"No, no, este culebra no es venemosa."
"Pueden ver las ranas en esos picturas? Hay uno en cada pictura, pero las tienen mucho camuflaje y estan muy dificil a encontrar."
"Esto es una rana arbórea de ojos rojos."
Repeat ad nauseam, answer questions.

But really. there were thousands of people there, most of them school-aged children with their families. It was great to see such big turnout, and it gave me a good feeling to see a community so interested in their wildlife and local environment.


There was also traditional dancing and bouncy castles, so that was a nice entertainment bonus for everyone in attendance:


We shared an area with a couple of bat researchers, who had a great little setup showing how mist-nets are used. We chatted about techniques and I got to scope out their central american bat books. So many phyllostomids here!

I went on a couple of walks throughout the day.


My first walk, I was lucky enough to befriend a friendly birder on an ecotourism / naturewatching vacation, and he very helpfully told me the names of all the exceptionally fancy birds we saw. I hadn't brought my camera, so I'll have to use wikimedia to illustrate how cool they were. Here are some birds we saw:

The Rufous Motmot:
  Rufous Motmot
Broad-billed Motmot:
Broad-billed Motmot
Rufous-tailed Jacamar: Rufous-tailed Jacamar (Galbula ruficauda) (4090194954)

Squirrel Cuckoo:
Piaya cayana (Squirrel Cuckoo) (15147802961)
Squirrel cuckoo 2

Collared Araçari:
Collared Aracari

On a later expedition, I saw a bunch of identified parrots and had a close encounter with an indifferent peccary:
  Collared Peccary 04

No comments:

Post a Comment