Thursday, November 6, 2014

Day 1 -- Preparations

Thank you, thank you, thank you universe for the access to high-speed internet. There may be gecko poop on the floor and a squeaky belt on the field vehicle, but academic research (and staying connected to home) are made so much easier by reliable internet access. We're still waiting on a wireless LAN in the house, but an ethernet cable to the router is getting the job done just fine thus far. Here's why I'm so happy about that: This morning I was able to have a skype interview! After all my worries about meeting with a potential graduate advisor, it went well and we had a better connection that I normally get at home.

After my video call, Michelle and I headed to town to gather some field supplies and run a few errands. I purchased some tall rubber boots (footwear with built-in snakebite protection) and failed to find an umbrella. I spent the next few hours marking out the centimeters on our PVC vegetation-measuring poles and getting to know our acoustic monitoring equipment.

Tomorrow is our first day of fieldwork, which I hear will be a pasture site with some very swampy bits and some stream surveys. I'll follow up more on the process once I get into the swing of things!

No comments:

Post a Comment